Below are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding lettings. If you have a question that is not on the list, do not hesitate to get in touch.

Do I need permission to let my property?

If you have a mortgage or loan, you will need the permission of your lender first. You should also check with your insurer to see if you need a specific lettings policy. If your property is leasehold you should check with your freeholder. Finally, you can also ask local authorities to see if you need any planning permission, especially if you intend to make the property a House in Multiple Occupation. If you are unsure contact us and we would be happy to advise you.

What are the regulations I need to comply to?

There are many regulations a landlord and property need to comply to. As the penalties can be quite severe, we strongly recommend you take the time to read them. You can find more about these regulations in our landlords section. As always we can advise so please get in touch if you would like more information.

What is a tenancy deposit scheme?

In Scotland, deposits have to be protected by a government-approved scheme within 30 days of the payment of the deposit. Our full management service includes management of the tenancy deposit. This ensures safety for both the landlord and the tenant.

Do I need to pay for my tenant’s bills and council tax?

What the landlord has to pay should be clearly stated in the tenancy agreement, so that the tenant knows what is included and what isn’t. Tenants should be aware that their TV licence, if they have one, does not automatically to their new address and should provide their current details so that the correct property is licensed.

How can I choose the right tenant?

Evicting an unsuitable tenant can cost a lot of time and money. To avoid this, it is preferable to carry out checks beforehand to ensure the suitability of the tenant. The referencing process includes the following:

  • Credit check
  • ID and proof of residency
  • Employers reference
  • Previous landlord reference

With this information you should have a good idea of the suitability of the tenant if terms of payment and behaviour history.

Do you accompany viewings?

Yes, whether you choose our full management service or not, we can take care of viewings.

Do I need to insure my property?

As a landlord you are responsible for insuring the property and any content included with the tenancy. The tenants are responsible for insuring their own possessions. You insurance should also cover you and contain a public liability insurance.

What is an EPC and how long will it be valid?

An EPC is an Energy Performance Certificate and is valid for 10 years. It indicates the energy efficiency of a property by rating it on a scale from A to G, A being the most efficient.

What documents do I need before letting my property?

There are a few documents you are required to provide to comply with current regulations. We can help you with these so if you need guidance don’t hesitate to get in touch.

  • Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) – An EPC is a document that you are required to provide to us before we can market your property. You are also required to give a copy to anyone wanting to view the property and to your tenants.
  • Tenancy Agreement – A comprehensive tenancy agreement should be drawn. This could be standard or adapted to your requirements.
  • Tenancy deposit scheme – All deposits taken on assured and short assured tenancies, university accommodation and other types of occupancy agreements must be submitted to a Government-approved scheme. This should be done within 30 days of the tenancy start date. Our full management service includes the tenant deposit management.
  • Inventory and check in – We recommend carrying a detailed inventory before the start of a tenancy, including photographic evidence. The same inventory can then be used at the end of a tenancy and will prove most useful if you need to make a claim against the tenant’s deposit.

How much will it cost me to let my property?

Allison Residential Lettings charge fixed fees and not a percentage of the rental income.

A letting fee – This is a fixed fee discussed between the landlord and ourselves prior to marketing and is only payable at the beginning of the fixed term agreement. The fee is payable again only when a new tenant is required sourced.

A management fee – This fee applies if you choose our full management service. This fee again is fixed and is charged on a monthly basis.