Below are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding tenancies. If you have a question that is not on the list, do not hesitate to get in touch.

Can I have pets if I am renting a property?

This will depend on what your landlord wishes and what is written in your tenancy agreement. If you are not sure, contact your letting agency or landlord and ask. Pets incur a higher risk of damage for the property, which is why some landlords will not accept them. The same rule applies for children.

What are the obligations of a tenant?

The rights and obligations of a tenant should be stated in the tenancy agreement. There are a few things to be aware of:

  • Property repairs – The tenant is responsible for minors repairs that are the tenant’s fault and should pay for anything that is damaged or broken. In general, the tenant is responsible for the interior condition of the property, but check with your landlord first if you would like to redecorate.
  • Property use – The tenant should only use the property for residential purposes and is not allowed to run a business of any kind.
  • Property access – The landlord will visit the property from time to time to check that everything is in good condition. The tenant has to let the landlord in, but the landlord has to let the tenant know in advance. The landlord has a set of keys that should be used only in case of emergency.

Who is responsible for minor repairs?

Major repairs are the responsibility of the landlord. Examples of these include walls, pipes, heating, sinks or electrical wiring. The tenant is expected to make sure the property is used correctly and to make minor repairs, such as changing a lightbulb or checking smoke alarm batteries. The tenant should check the tenancy agreement to check if some extra responsibilities are included (i.e. maintaining the garden).

How do I serve notice if I want to end my tenancy?

You can send a notice letter or email to your agent, making sure you respect the terms in your tenancy agreement.

Do I have to pay a reservation fee?

A fee can be required to reserve a property should you be interested in renting it. This fee will then be deducted from your first rent. For more information get in touch.

What references and documents do I need to provide?

The agency will carry our standard reference checks so they can verify your history as a tenant and confirm your suitability for the tenancy. The documents you will have to provide include:

  • Proof of ID and residency
  • Employers reference
  • Previous landlord reference
  • The agency will also carry out a credit check

How can I pay my rent?

For long rentals the best way to pay rent is to set up a monthly standing order a few days before the due date of the tenancy (usually the day you moved in).

What is a tenancy deposit scheme?

In Scotland, deposits have to be protected by a government-approved scheme within 30 days of the payment of the deposit. Our full management service includes management of the tenancy deposit. This ensures safety for both the landlord and the tenant.

When is my deposit returned to me?

The deposit will be held during your tenancy and can be returned to you at the end of the tenancy, at the checkout, after you and the landlord agree on the amount to be paid (in case repairs need to be done).

Who is responsible for contacting the utility companies after I move in?

You as the tenant are responsible for setting up accounts with the utility companies of your choice, providing meter readings and dealing with contracts at the end of the tenancy.